My wife wanted to make some earrings on the laser cutter, so we bought some "leather" from a Chinese site. When it came in, it was obviously a faux material and doing a burn test on it showed a green flame. This means that it contains chlorine and is a no-go on the laser. She was still able to cut it on her Cricut, however.
So, plan B. I found this pack of veneer from the Amazon for a good price per square inch. I ordered it on the 14th and it came in today - 4 day shipping (not Prime), so not too bad. I was very impressed with the variety, and the quality seems to be pretty good. The sheets fit comfortably in my K40, though I did have to cut one to length so far to be clear of the rails for the y-axis. I cut at 30mm/s and 15% power and got nice clean cuts with those settings.
Photos below show some of the sheets spread out, my setup in the K40 and the fruits of tonight's labor, awaiting clear coat.
Hardware eventually fails. Software eventually works.